[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks

Cin and Bill kobak bilcinkob at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 16:51:37 EST 2016

We use snap traps in our shed to kill the many mice that move in during the
colder months. We left four dead mice in our yard for any creature that
would like an easy meal.

This morning we saw one of our resident adult Red-shouldered Hawks swoop in
to grab a mouse. Later the hawk was joined by its mate, though the supply of
rodents had been depleted.

Interesting to see hawks choose to eat dead animals (a Cooper's Hawk had
also grabbed a window kill junco in the past). This is an important reminder
not to use poisons to deal with nuisance animals; they will become a deadly
meal for another creature.

Cindi Kobak

Guilford