[CT Birds] Cerulean Warblers in New England

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:40:35 EST 2016

Hi All,

For a final project in one of my courses, I have decided to address the
Cerulean Warbler's "paradoxical" status in New England. Specifically, I
want to look at answers to the question: why are Cerulean Warbler numbers
(and territories) increasing in New England, but decreasing throughout much
of the rest of their range (including core areas in the Appalachians to our
south). I am wondering if anyone here might be able to help shine some
light on this question. The literature is virtually devoid of studies
focussing specifically on Cerulean Warblers in the Northeast, and it would
be really helpful to understand a) what conservationists in these six
states are doing to help these birds (or want to do), b) why we think
Ceruleans expanded into the Northeast in the first place, and c) is their
range still expanding/what are the dynamics in their status here and range

Any help would be hugely appreciated, be it in the form of personal
expertise, studies you might have come across, or someone you know that
might be able to help. I would be happy to post the results of this paper
if anyone is interested.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield, CT