[CT Birds] Daniel Field

Amy Hopkins hopkinsus at cs.com
Tue Nov 29 02:14:44 EST 2016

I highly encourage everyone to go see Daniel Field.  He's an amazing speaker and you'll learn so much.  I've gone to several of his talks.  He's heading off to England soon for a professorship, so make sure you see him now!

Amy Hopkins
Guilford

Fossils as a Birdwatcher's Time Machine
Presentation by Paleontologist Daniel Field
Monday, December 5, 7:00 P.M.,Center at Fairfield, 2325 Burr Street

Join us for an engaging presentation by Daniel Field, an evolutionary paleontologist currently based at Yale University.

Numbering over 10,000 living species, birds are the most diverse group of terrestrial vertebrate animals. In addition to occupying practically every ecosystem from the poles, to tropical rainforests, to deserts and the open ocean, birds exhibit an incredible variety of forms, colors, and lifestyles. But how, when, and why did this amazing variety originate? The fossil record preserves the only direct evidence of the history of birdlife, and recent discoveries have shed light on many critical events in bird evolutionary history. Dr. Field will share his research explaining how 150-million-year-old dinosaur fossils record the initial stages of avian flight, and how more recent fossils show that North America was formerly inhabited by tropical bird groups now restricted to Africa.

Program is free to members, $10 for non-members.Register online at https://ssl.charityweb.net/ctaudubon/event/paleolecture.htm or email Emily Rosenthal at erosenthal at ctaudubon.org

Emily Rosenthal
Membership Manager
(203) 259 0416 x106