[CT Birds] Adult Goshawk Quaker Ridge

ryanmac335 at gmail.com ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:14:51 EST 2016

For our last bonus day of hawkwatching at Audubon Greenwich we were treated to a nice surprise ADULT NORTHERN GOSHAWK spotted by Kevin McGrath at 2:15 PM. Excellent scope views of this buteo-size accipiter with its slate gray back and light gray belly. The bird was heading NW directly into the wind. While we've had 7 juvenile Goshawks this season this is the first adult we've had here in atleast several years.

Other raptors counted for our last day included 2 Red-Shouldered Hawks, a Merlin and a juvenile Harrier. One flyover Pine Siskin as well. Hope to see some of you tonight at our season wrap-up presentation at 6:30 in the Audubon Center!
-Ryan MacLean

Sent from my iPhone