[CT Birds] Reporting Owls

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Dec 7 15:28:02 EST 2016

First, let me start by quoting one of the few rules* we have for this list.

"Some birds should not be posted for the good of the bird. This includes day-roosting owls - Eastern Screech, Great Horned, Barred, Barn, Long-eared and Northern Saw-whet. It also includes nesting birds, particularly directions to nests."

I wrote that rule.  I make no claim that this is perfect, but it is what is in place today.  Note that it only refers to reporting, not proper behavior in the field.  What I think of as "open country" owls - Snowy and Short-eared - are not listed.  My observation is that these owls commonly move around during the daylight hours anyway, unlike the ones on the restricted list.  Likewise the have a wide range of places to roost, something that can not always be said about the restricted owls.  That does not mean that every Snowy or Short-eared Owl should be reported, it is up to each of us to decide if there are particular reasons for not reporting a bird.  But that is true of all sighting reports, regardless of species.

I might as well point out that there is no exclusion for reporting extremely rare owls, such as Boreal Owl.  I hope that in the event that something that special is reported we can collectively show common sense and respect for the bird (and each other) while also being able to share the opportunity it may present.

While discussion of the rules of the list is appropriate here, it is the COA board that has the final authority over them.

Thanks, and good birding.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

*The complete list of rules for the CTBirds list is here: