[CT Birds] SE Owl in Somers

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 8 20:19:56 EST 2016

The "changing of the guard" comment reminds me of Connecticut's operatic owl-o-phile, Julio De La Torre, who's book on the subject described the "niche-switch".  Although, there wasn't any documentation of formal shift-changes, these ecological nocturnal/diurnal pairings included:   Great  Horned Owl/Red-tailed Hawk, Barred Owl/Red-shouldered Hawk, Screech Owl/Kestrel and (ok, this one's a stretch, but I think he made this association in his outstanding book) Long-eared Owl/Broad-winged Hawk.

Obviously, this is an ecological niche oversimplification.  But what if it was not?  We'd then, perhaps, have as many Short-eared Owls as Harriers, and as many Long-eared Owls as Broadies...

Steve MayoBethany