[CT Birds] Home invasion

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 13:07:34 EST 2016

Well almost. About 2 yesterday afternoon I was called across  the street to
the screen house in the yard. Three women were standing outside,  looking
in the open door at a bird that was flying back and forth, bashing  itself
against the screen walls.
Since I'd known what the problem was I was dressed accordingly,  heavy
winter leather gloves, a safari hat with a neck flap in the back and a  heavy
padded jacket.
As I suspected, the culprit was an immature male  Sharp-shinned Hawk.
The first thing I had to do was get the women to go away, since  there was
no way that bird was coming out the door while they were standing 6  feet
away. then I went in. And at first I didn't see a thing. Until finally  I
spotted a white-striped tail tip sticking out from under the gas grill.  When I
went around the other side the bird flew out and across to the other  end,
and disappeared again into the clutter of winter storage.
But I finally found it pressed against the back and seat of a  plastic lawn
chair. When I made a move towards it he flew again to the other  side and
bashed against the screen once more, and when I went over he had all  his
claws imbedded in the screening and appeared to be stuck. But when I
tentatively reached with the towel I'd brought he pulled loose again and flew a
circle around the inside. When I followed him once more, at long last he spotted
 the open door and made his escape out and into the woods.
I was puzzled at how he'd gotten in there since the door shuts  tightly,
but when I looked around I was even more surprised. The structure is  enclosed
with screening and in the winter, with plastic sheeting like you might  use
on house windows. If you stand on one side you can easily see through to
the  other side. Just like a bird that hit's a house window, he must have not
seen  the barrier and tried to fly through. He succeeded in not only
punching a hole  in the plastic, but knocked a large part of one of the screening
loose from it's  frame! The screening is stapled from the inside, and to do
that he had to knock  all the staples loose. I'm amazed he apparently didn't
hurt himself.
This is one of at least 2 Sharpies that have been terrorizing  the birds in
the neighborhood, and just to prove it, half an hour later I  watched the
ingrate make a pass at the Mourning Doves grazing in my  yard.
Also, around 3 PM I saw an adult Bald Eagle sitting at the top  of the
trees along the small pond on Rt 31 near the intersection with Depot Rd.  An
hour later he was gone when I was on my way back home.
Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct