[CT Birds] Possible Snowy owl at silver sands

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Wed Dec 7 14:00:02 EST 2016

All, I was hesitant to give out the SE Owl location, but thought that the people on this list would be respectful and not stress the bird out by aggressively chasing it.  In hindsight, and as suggested by a few folks on this list, I maybe should have instead provided my contact information and allowed folks to contact me for the location.  This bird (possibly 2) has been seen numerous times now actively hunting over open corn fields at both dawn and dusk, but I will admit that I did flush it from cover on more than one occasion since I found it over thanksgiving weekend.  I would love to hear from the more experienced birders on this touchy subject.  I do not feel I have stressed the bird out, and the few people that have come to see it have been very respectful and not "chased" it to aggressively.  However, I want to do what is best for the birds, so in the future, I will not give out directions to owl sightings, and, instead, simply report the sighting on ebird.

Regards,

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Principal Consultant
Environmental Resources Management