[CT Birds] 12/13 - Red-necked Grebe at Lake Saltonstall, Branford

Gina Nichol gina at sunrisebirding.com
Tue Dec 13 12:17:55 EST 2016

Hi All,
Apologies for the duplication but I wanted to report this bird immediately in
case this bird was something really rare.  It was in with a group of about 40
Hooded Mergansers at the north end of Lake Saltonstall.  The sun was lighting up
the neck and it was a little too distant for binoculars.  I had left the house
without my scope so Steve brought it to me to confirm that it was a Red-necked
Grebe.  I added photos to the eBird report (I have a video too but eBird doesn't
like MP4 format(?)).  Hope it stays around for the CBC.  eBird report below.
Gina Nichol
Branford, CT

Lake Saltonstall, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Dec 13, 2016 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.6 mile(s)
Comments:     Walk on the white trail from the upper lot at 400 Hosley Avenue
down to the nature trail at the lake.  A Regional Water Authority permit is
required to access this property.  Go to
http://www.rwater.com/products-and-services/recreation/
20 species

Mute Swan  2
Gadwall  4
Mallard  4
Bufflehead  6
Hooded Merganser  40
Red-necked Grebe  1     Winter plumage bird
Ring-billed Gull  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  1
European Starling  2
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
House Finch  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32999721

Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
gina at sunrisebirding.com
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724