[CT Birds] Coventry Lake Waterfowl

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Dec 13 16:10:37 EST 2016

I've been checking Coventry Lake for waterfowl since around the  beginning
of November, in vain for the most part. Maybe three weeks ago I did  find 15
Ruddy Ducks, but only for 1 day.  But between errands I checked  today and
found more birds than I've seen in 2 years, although nothing like it  was
several years ago.

8  Ruddy Duck, tucked up in the NE corner of the northeast  cove
(Waterfront Park beach).
42 Common Mergansers!! (That's a lot for this lake.) In one  group, along
the eastern shoreline and out in the middle south of the island.
35, approximately, Hooded Mergansers, In the NE cove, off the  Oak Grove
beach and along the eastern shoreline.
2 Buffleheads  M and F but not together when I saw them,  NE cove.
100 + Canada Geese, all over the lake.
60 +  Mallards, ditto
1 Mute Swan, off the boat launch ramp.

No sign of Ring-necks, Golden-eye or Loons, but they are always  possible
with migration now in full swing for the ducks.

 I assume these birds are traveling they may be gone by  tomorrow
afternoon.
No ice on the lake, by the way, although many small ponds are  frozen,
which probably accounts for large number of Mallards. The geese go in  and out
constantly, and spend the night on the lake. It hasn't been really cold  in
long stretches yet, so I expect the lake will be at least partially open till
 the end of the year, possibly longer.

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct