[CT Birds] Hybrid Wigeon X Mallard at Wooster Park Pond, Stratford

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 07:33:23 EST 2016

Wooster Park and Pond, Stratford, CT 14 December 2016, 1:00 PM

While searching through the hundreds of Canada geese, mallards, and American
black ducks for the northern shovelers that Frank Mantlik had reported
earlier at the pond, I saw a duck diving in the open water on the east side.
Mallards will immerse themselves, but this duck was under for several
seconds.

When close, it saw its powder blue bill, iridescent green head with creamy
cheek patches, a long-ish tail, and more compact profile, I concluded it was
an American WIGEON X MALLARD hybrid. I sent photos to Frank last night and
he reported that either wigeon, American or European, might be the parent.

I also saw a smaller goose with knob forehead, short bill, and generally
boxy body (seen from behind). I suspect it is one of the larger CACKLING
GOOSE  subspecies.

Photos of the hybrid duck, goose, and a pair of northern shovelers are in my
checklist:

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT