[CT Birds] Sherwood Island & Backyard Birds

Chris Petherick cpetherick at me.com
Mon Dec 12 11:07:28 EST 2016

Good morning,

I had the pleasure of doing some birding this morning with Tina Green at Sherwood Island SP.  We saw Common Loons, ~50 goldeneye or so, LT Ducks, RB Mergansers, GBB Gulls, a LBB Gull, a single Fox Sparrow, many song sparrows and WT Sparrows and a few other, typical birds for the area.  Thanks for showing me around Tina, what a great park!

I’ve had feeders up in my new yard now for about a week - it took <24 hours for the birds to find them.  I’ve had 10-15 WT sparrows as constant visitors along with Tufted Titmice (love them - they were very rare visitors in Milwaukee, WI), White-breasted nuthatch, Blue Jays, Downy and Hairy woodpeckers, 25+ juncos and a few cardinals are now making there way here.  I’ve had as many as 5 bluebirds in the yard, they’ll sit on my feeder poles, but not feeding (no meal worms for them, yet).  It’s been lot of fun seeing the new visitors each day as well as my new common birds.  Other yard visitors include Flickers, brown creepers, red-bellied woodpeckers, crow and fly-over raven, turkey vulture, red-tailed hawk, Cooper’s Hawk and 2 unidentified raptors and a nighttime calling Great-Horned owl.

Chris Petherick
Fairfield, CT