[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Snow Goose update

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:21:27 EST 2016

On Saturday a Snow Goose was reported at Sherwood Island SP which I saw along with Stuart Winquist and Mark Danforth.The Goose was on the beach with a large group of Gulls but no other geese. I thought it was unusual but the bird looked fine and was moving and flying along the beach without difficulty.
Yesterday morning Greg Hanisek spotted the Snow Goose near the marsh while at the park with his class field trip. We all had a good scope veiw of the goose and it still looked fine but I was concerned that it was not really associating with any geese and was probably not well.
I returned to the park between 1:30-2:00pm and observed the goose sitting alone at the edge of the marsh and felt certain the bird was in distress. I noticed the bird was having difficulty breathing.I alerted Wildlife in Crisis who also alerted DEEP. Someone from both facilities came out but were unable to locate the goose.
This morning while waiting to enter the park I spotted the dead Snow Goose floating in the marsh behind the nature center. So if you are at Sherwood Island SP or Burying Hill Beach you may observe the goose in the water. I am hoping to retrieve the goose and bring it to Kristof at Yale's Peabody Museum.

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone