[CT Birds] New Haven Christmas Bird Count highlights

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Dec 17 20:32:40 EST 2016

12/17/16.  We had a remarkably good day given the challenging weather
conditions, with significant snow fall in the early morning and rain in the
late morning. We tallied a total of 124 species (with two more count week).
Highlights were:  Snow Goose (two locations), Cackling Goose, Eurasian
Wigeon, Redhead, Red-necked Grebe, Black-crowned Night-heron, Osprey (count
week), Laughing Gull, Iceland Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Long-eared
Owl, Gray Catbird, Nashville Warbler (three different birds!),
Yellow-breasted Chat, Lapland Longspur, Rusty Blackbird, and Pine Siskin.
The Redhead and Red-necked Grebe were in Lake Saltonstall.  The Eurasian
Wigeon, Night-herons, and Iceland Gull were in the Indian Neck area in

Kudos to all of the hardy participants on this memorable day.

Chris Loscalzo

NH CBC Compiler