[CT Birds] Egg yolks and birds

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 09:20:16 EST 2016

12/10  Orange backyard birds.
When I make hard boiled eggs, many times we don't use all the egg yolks.
So I have been throwing the hard boiled yolks into the yard.  It is a very
popular food among the Blue Jays.
Now I observed that as other birds watch the Blue Jays eating the yolks,
that they started to eat them as well .  First the chickadees started
picking at them, then the titmice, juncos and even the House sparrows.  The
jays will grab as large a piece as they can, and the smaller birds pick at
the smaller pieces.  I figure it must be a good source of protein for
them.  Peanuts and dried mealworms are also a hit in addition to the
regular seed fare and suet.
Bev Propen, Orange