[CT Birds] RI Graylag thoughts

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:13:23 EST 2016

I have the great fortune to have seen and photographed the CT Graylag Goose.  Also, this June i had an opportunity to study hundreds of Graylags on the Outer Hebrides of Scotland.

The good news is that the CT bird was identical to the Scotland geese in every way.

There are questions for me on the RI bird. The bill seems very thick and blunt. The neck appears quite thick as well. Both of these are different than the CT bird, different than captive wild Graylags at the Ripley Sanctuary.  It is different than all the birds i studied in Scotland.

Does this mean anything?  I have no idea. It does mean that it does not look "perfect" to me. Still a very cool bird. And still very very rare. All its parts seem intact. Geese are so very difficult to assess.

To paraphrase a famous birder from the great White North, ..."its a goose. Eat it and be done with it."

Mark Szantyr
Storrs
"He's not my President"