[CT Birds] CT SW shore highlights 12/23

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 23 16:51:49 EST 2016

12/23 - Julian Hough & I did some birding along the SW CT shoreline this morning. Pretty slow birding, but highlights included:
Milford Point - adult Bald Eagle, 3 Great Cormorants, 55 Snow Buntings (later also seen across the river at Short Beach). Several hunters in the salt marsh.
Stratford, Birdseye St. boat ramp - 7 NORTHERN SHOVELERS, BLUE-WINGED TEAL (female), 3 Green-winged Teal, 7 American Coot.
Stratford, Frash Pond - 8 Lesser Scaup, 1 Black-crowned Night-Heron.
Stratford, Short Beach - male EURASIAN WIGEON, GRAYLAG GOOSE X CANADA GOOSE hybrid, 55 Snow Buntings. (No Snow Geese seen). Also a Red-tailed Hawk that could possibly be mistaken for a Rough-legged Hawk.
Fairfield, Penfield Reef (with Steve Broker) - 10 White-winged Scoters. Many Brant, ducks and gulls, but we did not see the male Harlequin Duck. There was a kayaker paddling way out along the reef; plus we learned there had been waterfowl hunters out there earlier in the morning (another birder searched for 3 hours but also failed to see the Harlequin).
Stratford, Wooster Park Pond (Freeman Ave) - (FM only) - Pond almost entirely frozen, but I saw the AMERICAN WIGEON X MALLARD hybrid among 1260 Mallards, 53 American Black Ducks.
Frank MantlikStratford