[CT Birds] "Common" name change?

David Carey careydavid at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 26 18:23:14 EST 2016

For the past 25 years I have had a bird frequent the wooded area around the feeders.  I first identified him as a Rufous-sided Towhee, using my Field Guide to Birds by Roger Tory Peterson, copyright 1980, fourth addition.  But when I turned in the sighting last week for the Christmas count our leader said he was not able to find it in any of his listings/guides and wondered if I meant an Eastern Towhee.  After referring to some newer guides I have, specifically The Sibley Field Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley; first addition, copy right and published in 2003.  I noticed that while the Latin name was still the same, the common name appears to have changed.  I wondered how often that may happen?
 Captain Dave