[CT Birds] "Common" name change?

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Dec 26 22:25:07 EST 2016

David,

This sort or change is normally the result of a species being split (or lumped).  The American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) decided that what we had been calling Rufous-sided Towhee was actually two species, not one.  Since they both shared the rufous-sided coloration the old name no longer could be used to tell them apart.  The western species has spots and became Spotted Towhee.  The eastern does not, so it became Eastern Towhee.

I wouldn't say it happens frequently, at least not to birds we see often, but it isn't uncommon.  Western Flycatcher was split into Pacific-slope Flycatcher and Cordilleran Flycatcher for another example.  You can read about some more recent name activity here:
http://www.audubon.org/news/here-are-biggest-changes-aou-checklist-north-american-birds

This article by David Sibley is also interesting, and overlaps a bit with the previous one.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2010/04/the-next-10-north-american-bird-splits/

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT