[CT Birds] pro-Pacific Loon features

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 13:12:08 EST 2016

I haven't seen Frank Mantlik's photos, but Russ Smiley's images show a suite of pro-Pacific Loon features. The bill does look oddly long (maybe some distortion on the camera back) not heavy like a Common Loon. There is no Common Loon forehead bump. The lack of white completely surrounding the eye is also a Pacific feature (eye set right into the dark part of the head with just the lower bit of the arc touching white). The straight line of black-white on the neck also is Pacific (lacking the half-collar indentations of a Common). The darkness over all, giving very stark black-white contrast, suggests adult Pacific (if not photo effect). It actually looks to me like the very edge of the dark part of the neck is darker than the rest of the rear neck (very pro-Pacific). Also, but more ambiguous, is a seemingly (too me) pale area on the rear of the crown.
Greg HanisekWaterbury