[CT Birds] 2016 Piping Plover/American Oystercatcher update

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Wed Dec 28 15:42:25 EST 2016

Good afternoon, all! I thought it would be a terrific time to update
everyone on our Piping Plover and American Oystercatcher numbers for
2016 as we near the end of our year: http://rtpi.org/2016-aafcw-totals/

Audubon Connecticut and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural
History are proud to be partners for the upcoming Audubon Alliance for
Coastal Waterbirds' (AAfCW) sixth season in 2017, and over the past few
years we have had a number of tremendous success stories thanks to you.
Our incredible 2014 season included an all-time record high number of
fledged Piping Plovers for Connecticut with 116 birds. Results from the
phenomenal 2015 season indicated we had the second highest number of
fledged chicks ever at 112, right behind our own 2014 record. We also
set the all-time record number of breeding pairs of Piping Plovers for
the state in 2015 at 62, but this was broken in 2016 with 63 pairs!

These birds produced 87 fledged chicks for a productivity rate of 1.38
chicks per pair, well above the federal recovery goal of 1.2 chicks per
pair. High tide events, storms, predators and unfortunate human
incidents all led to a decline in fledged chicks from the previous two
seasons, but it was nevertheless the fourth highest total ever for our
state.

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is
still finalizing the official numbers for Least Terns nesting in 2016.
However, we have completed our report for the American Oystercatcher,
and it is yet more great news as a record high number of 63 pairs nested
in Connecticut in 2016. These birds produced 53 fledglings for a
productivity rate of .84 chicks per pair, the second highest total of
chicks fledged and the second highest productivity rate ever recorded in
the state. Our daily work to protect breeding areas, from the beaches to
remote offshore islands, is undoubtedly behind this increase in nesting
attempts and success.

We would like to thank our hundreds of volunteers for putting in
approximately 4,000 volunteer hours as tallied through only the first
three quarters of 2016! None of this work could be done without you
dedicated citizen scientists. Remember that our efforts extend through
the end of the year as we survey for birds such as the Black-bellied
Plover, Sanderling, Dunlin, Killdeer, Ruddy Turnstone, lingering egrets,
herons and more that spend the winter with us.

Audubon Connecticut and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural
History are looking forward to what will be a very busy and extremely
important 2017 field season – starting in less than three months – after
Hurricane Matthew tore through the Bahamas and the wintering grounds of
many Piping Plovers:
http://www.audubon.org/news/hundreds-atlantic-piping-plovers-are-missing-after-hurricane-matthew

Hundreds or more may have perished, and we may have fewer pairs
returning to us, making our stewardship and outreach efforts all the
more important for those that have survived and will depend on
Connecticut to recover from these losses. As always, if you have
questions about the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds or wish to
volunteer, please email us. Donations are also greatly appreciated.

Our deepest thanks to all of our volunteers once again and a Happy New Year!

Best,
Scott Kruitbosch
RTPI Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
AAfCW Volunteer Coordinator

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator