[CT Birds] The Bird of the Day Challenge

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 31 16:20:43 EST 2016

OK, so I know there's at least a couple of listers out there and so I thought y'all might be interested in a novel challenge.  Last year, Margaret and I gave a pile of Sibley bird calendars to members of the UConn bird group.  Members of our colleague Morgan Tingley's lab saw this as an opportunity for sport and instigated a game where the challenge was to see a bird on the day on which it appeared on the Sibley page-a-day calendar.

This year, Morgan has taken the challenge a step further and created an algorithm to assign birds to days based on how often they get reported on a given day - in theory this should make it easier to get higher scores (think basketball vs what some of us call football).  If you're bored with doing big years, get cold feet when doing a big sit, or have long since plateaued on what your yard list can produce, this is a challenge for you.  Full details, and the list of birds is here:

http://www.morgantingley.com/botd/
I think Morgan said he'd buy a beer for anyone who gets more than fifty, but I'm probably not remembering that right ....
Chris
 Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net