[CT Birds] Tragic, Trite Timberdoodle Stories

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 29 12:31:32 EST 2016

Bulldozers are working the entire area south of the Old Bethany Airport.  This former site of a low maintenance, low impact golf driving range bordering woods, was ideal for Woodcock.  Will the new Connecticut Football Club soccer fields, provide similar, suitable habitat?  And, these fields will be used for a fraction of a percent of every calendar year.
I took some of this frustration out on the trunks of Oriental Bittersweet over at Bethany's Spykman preserve at Schilf Road.  Something flushed and scared the heck out of me.  The little bast- oh, sorry, this is a  COA site -- the little Phelohila minor,  waited until I was 5 or 6 feet from it before it whirred away.  Nice to see there's still some Woodcock habitat around.

Steve MayoBethany