[CT Birds] Western CT Bird Club

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jan 6 14:59:41 EST 2017

Sorry that some details were missing.  The program is free and open to the public.

The Hearth at 655 Main Street-South Southbury.
coffee and cookies at 6:30 with the meeting at 7. January 19th

Passing this along for WCBC:

The January 19th meeting of the Western Connecticut Bird Club will feature Professor Richard O. Prum of Yale.  Below is a short bio and summary of his presentation.  I am hoping for a good turn out among our members because this will be a very special presentation and I am hoping to have him back at a later date to discuss his new book that is being published later this year.  We have not had the best turn out this season, so I do hope that you all make a special effort to come.

Putting Birds on the Great Tree of Life: Progress in Avian Phylogeny
Richard O. Prum

Reconstruction of the evolutionary history of relationships among birds has progressed tremendously in the last decade. The use of genomic data has allowed us to reconstruct the history of common ancestry with increasing accuracy and confidence. New results provide surprising discoveries about the history and diversity of the birds of the world.

Richard O. Prum is the William Robertson Coe Professor of Ornithology at Yale University. A life-long birder, Prum's research program combines his love of field observation and bird behavior with laboratory and museum investigations. He is the recipient of the MacArthur, Guggenheim, and Fulbright Fellowships.

Happy New Year,

Tom Zissu

Phone: (203)405-9115  http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook: