[CT Birds] Sapsucker in Hamden; R-b nuthatches continue

Florence McBride fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 22:21:49 EST 2017

Hamden (Spring Glen) 1/8, 10:50 am and two later times:  Juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker on the spruce by our back porch.  After keeping an eye on that tree for over a week, I was starting to wonder whether this species would give us a miss this winter, after visiting our spruce quite consistently for the last 2 winters, once on 12/31, and on several dates in early to mid-January.  But today, there it was again — what a pleasure.  Also there were at least 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches coming to our hulled sunflower feeder today, and that species has been showing up consistently since my 1/1 post.

Flo McBride