[CT Birds] Canary in the yard

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 09:30:00 EST 2017

You never know what might show up. Since January 5th we've had an unusual visitor to our feeders and bath.  Of course it's a release or escapee.Caught us by surprise though and happy to see it has made it through the near 0 temps.
Thanks to Mark, Frank, Greg for initial ID.  Frank found this that seems to wrap it up.
Canary (Serinus canaria). It has many features of the wild species from Portugal, Canary Islands, etc. But it seems domesticated forms can have (leucistic?) white in the wings and tail.Any interest in seeing photos (lousy record photos) they are here.

|   |
   |  |

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518