[CT Birds] Dam gulls

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 21:42:09 EST 2017

Late this morning I ran the Housatonic River from the Shepaug Dam
(Southbury) to Stevenson Dam (Oxford). There was a gull roost on the
ice above each of the dams. The Shepaug Dam gull flock is the one that
frequently (well, in prior winters anyway) bathes and roosts below the
dam along River Road by Mitchell Farm. Today I did my best to scope
the birds roosting on the ice above the dam, best visible from a
pulloff on Alberts Hill Road in Newtown. The gulls were roosting close
to the dam itself, which is quite a distance from the view point. I do
not think there is a closer vantage point without trespassing. I did
pick out a young ICELAND GULL from the 500-bird flock.

The roost above Stevenson Dam, viewed from a pulloff along Coppermine
Road, held about 250 birds, but nothing notable. This flock was much
closer and much more easily scrutinized.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com