[CT Birds] 1/19: Vesper Sparrow, Snow Goose, Flicker, Swamp Sparrow

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Thu Jan 19 20:11:09 EST 2017

Thanks to exact directions from Maggie Peretti, I had a wonderful look at the Vesper Sparrow on Strong Rd in South Windsor.  It even gave me a glimpse of the rarely-seen rufous lesser coverts on one wing.

If others are playing the "Big January" game in Hartford County, as I am, my eBird reports for the day are appended below.  New additions today:  Vesper Sparrow, Snow Goose, Flicker, Swamp Sparrow and Wild Turkey.

John Weeks
North Granby

West Mountain Rd, Simsbury (south end), Hartford County, Connecticut, US
Jan 19, 2017 10:00 AM
Protocol: Incidental
1 species
Wild Turkey  3     Three hens waiting to cross the road.
View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33792884

Rte 159 between Thrall Ave & Bridge St (Suffield), Hartford County, Connecticut, US
Jan 19, 2017 12:30 PM - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:  Stopped by the roadside to observe the large flock of geese grazing in the extensive meadow east of Rt 159
5 species
Snow Goose  1
Canada Goose  300
Mallard  5
Bald Eagle  1     The geese lifted en masse and flew upriver when the eagle appeared overhead.  Did it spook them?
American Crow  1
View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33792722

Strong Rd (South Windsor), Hartford County, Connecticut, US
Jan 19, 2017 1:20 PM - 1:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
5 species
Northern Harrier  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Crow  30
Horned Lark  130
Vesper Sparrow  1     There have been confirmed sightings of one or two VESP at this site for several days now.  I observed this bird with a Swarovski telescope for 20 minutes. The eye-ring was plainly visible, as were the fine streaking on the upper breast and the creamy wash on the underparts.  As the bird preened, it briefly exposed the rufous lesser coverts of its right wing.
View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33793062

Station 43 (South Windsor), Hartford County, Connecticut, US
Jan 19, 2017 2:00 PM - 3:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
14 species