[CT Birds] Glastonbury/South Windsor/East Hartford: 3 Ring-necked Ducks/ 2 Vesper Sparrows and a Hermit Thrush/ 15 Gadwall

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sat Jan 21 18:46:49 EST 2017

Yes, you read that correctly -- fifteen Gadwall.  They considerately got into formation and swam single-file so that we could count them.

As we walked cautiously along the west edge of the stubblefield on Strong Road, we nearly stepped on the Vesper Sparrows.  They took cover in the scraggly line of small trees and bushes at the north end of the field.

The three drake Ring-necked Ducks on the Connecticut River were visible from a spot on the riverbank behind the waste-treatment plant (which is itself behind Glastonbury Town Hall).

A Hermit Thrush responded to pishing at Station 43.

Full eBird reports are appended below.

John Weeks
Chris Chinni
North Granby

Glastonbury Town Hall, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 21, 2017 11:50 AM - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Observers: Chris Chinni and John Weeks
21 species

Ring-necked Duck  3     Scope view from riverside behind the waste-treatment plant in back of town hall
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  10
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  1
Black-capped Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  4
Eastern Bluebird  5
American Robin  3
Northern Mockingbird  1
American Tree Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco  4
White-throated Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  1
House Sparrow  6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33832037

Strong Rd, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 21, 2017 1:20 PM - 2:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Comments:     Chris Chinni and John Weeks, observers
6 species

Canada Goose  125
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  2
Horned Lark  21
Vesper Sparrow  2     These two birds have been reported (and confirmed) in the same location for the past week. Today they flew up practically from under our feet as we walked along the west edge of the stubblefield.  They dove into cover in the thin line of trees and bushes at the north end of the field (where I watched one of them preening for 20 minutes two days ago).  In the brief time they were in view, Chris noted their overall pale coloration and white outer tail feathers.  I saw the tail.

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33832325

Station 43, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 21, 2017 2:10 PM - 3:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments:     Chris Chinni and John Weeks, observers
15 species

Canada Goose  20
Ring-necked Pheasant  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  2
Black-capped Chickadee  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Hermit Thrush  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
American Tree Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
House Sparrow  6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33832505

Hockanum River Linear Trail, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 21, 2017 3:30 PM - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Chris Chinni and John Weeks, observers
6 species

Canada Goose  200
Gadwall  15     Yes, a ridiculously high count, but we had a clear view of the whole flotilla as it steamed along in line-ahead formation.  Five GADW were reported on Jan. 7th at the adjacent East Hartford Middle School site.
Hooded Merganser  4
Herring Gull  18
Great Black-backed Gull  10
European Starling  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33832804

East Hartford Middle School, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 21, 2017 3:50 PM - 4:02 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Chris Chinni and John Weeks, observers
7 species

Canada Goose  60
American Black Duck  15
Mallard  5
Green-winged Teal  3
Common Merganser  7
Belted Kingfisher  1     Perched proudly with a fish in his beak.
European Starling  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33832901