[CT Birds] Gadwall (2) - East Hartford; Great Blue Heron - Simsbury

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 20:12:30 EST 2017

At least two of the original five Gadwall reported behind the East Hartford Middle School are still present.  I found a pair (a male and a female) with geese a short ways downstream, visible from the Hockanum River Linear Trail (parking on Chipper St).

Later, a Great Blue Heron flew over my car as I was driving south on Rt 202 near Bidwell's in Simsbury.

My eBird reports are below.

John Weeks
North Granby

Hockanum River Linear Trail, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 20, 2017 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
11 species

Canada Goose  56
Gadwall  2     Five Gadwall were reported by another observer on Jan. 7th a short distance upriver from this spot.  I saw four of them, all males, on Jan. 8th.  Today's birds were a female and a male.
American Black Duck  2
Mallard  2
Hooded Merganser  2
Ring-billed Gull  4
Hairy Woodpecker  1
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Dark-eyed Junco  2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33811572

Minister Brook Marsh at Rail Trail, Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jan 20, 2017 3:40 PM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments:     Bird flew over my car on Rt 202.  It disappeared in trees to the west.  I pulled into Old Canal Way (west side of Rt 202) and parked, then walked along the Rail Trail northward about 100 yards for a view of the small marsh.  The heron was standing in the middle of the water.
1 species

Great Blue Heron  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33811732