[CT Birds] Bird Feeders - but somewhat OT

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 20:03:42 EST 2017

The main feeders I have in my yard are 2 very large platform  type feeders
with a standard mixed seed mix on both. But in the last few days  I've been
seeing something that strikes me as very unusual and somewhat  worrisome.
Honey bees, sometimes just 1, sometimes several at a time on  the feeders
and apparently trying to find some sort of nutrition they can use in  the
bird food. I have seen them on both feeders.
I believe they are normally dormant or in hibernation at this  time of
year, and I'm concerned that coming out now (presumably because of  the somewhat
milder than usual weather) may cause them harm, particularly  because there
are no flowers and nothing else I can think of that they could  actually
feed on. Anyone know anything about this behavior and its  consequences?
Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct