[CT Birds] Evening Grosbeaks at Undermountain & Cobble Roads, South Canaan - Update

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Sun Jan 22 21:51:46 EST 2017

Sunday, January 22, 2017 (8:40 A.M.-10:20 A.M.) - 53 Evening Grosbeaks present (best count), moving between house feeders, ground below feeders, and trees further down Cobble Road, trees in the yard and across Cobble opposite the house, and trees in view along Undermountain Road.  The grosbeaks also were landing on the yard bird bath, fairly close to the road.  Some 10 birders present during this time.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 (11:50 A.M.-12 Noon) - a lesser number of grosbeaks seen, but still many coming in to the feeders.

Morning hours seem to be the best bet.  Common Ravens, Eastern Bluebirds, and Red-breasted Nuthatches also present in the immediate area.

The home owners have been very gracious.  The grosbeaks first showed up prior to Thanksgiving.  It has been some 15 years ( as I recall from conversation) since grosbeaks were observed here by the owners.  Some birders have been bringing seed to share.  We should continue to do so.

Steve Broker