[CT Birds] Red Bats

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Jan 29 09:23:17 EST 2017

Interesting for me to find this as last Sunday a bat was flying when coming home the long way from birdcounting in Pachaug State Forest.  Are there other distinguishing characteristics other than the season to call one bat a red or not?  This location has bats more evenings than not through the year and I have found late fall and early spring activity (and vice-versa) in recent years so I thought nothing too unusual to see one in the January thaw, although I have read some that recent studies show the colony bats are more susceptible in hibernation lapses.