[CT Birds] Extralimital: Montreal Great Gray Owls

Brian K briankulvete at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 07:11:18 EST 2017

I have been up in Montreal, Canada since Wednesday and there are many many
great gray owls in the area.  I was watching the numbers of reports grow
and grow since the one in Maine showed up several weeks ago.  I was working
so couldn't get out to the Maine bird and as I camp in that particular area
in some summers, I knew it could have disappeared at any moment (which it
did) so I couldn't justify the long trip to probably find nothing.
Additionally, Montreal is actually a closer drive from CT than the Stud
Mill road in Maine.

I can pretty much guarantee you will see one in Montreal.  Specifically a
park called Refugue fauniquie Marguerite D'Youville, just south of the
city.  There are 4 or 5 GGOW's here alone and I have watched them hunt, sit
and do nothing, and even land in trees right over our heads, every time we
were in the park.  We've checked out other locations, but they seem to be a
little harder to find, especially when they aren't active.  You can get
amazing photos with a short zoom lens.

It's quite an exhilarating experience and life bird, for myself.  According
to a local wildlife photographer we were talking too, it's been quite a
while since this many were in the area.  An Ebird search will show you just
how many are being spotted and reported in the last 3+ weeks.

Some friends from NH we met up here were also driving up through VT and saw
one just over the border in St. Albans, right on the highway.  So I would
also keep an eye out, over the next month, for New England reports of them
showing up, if you can't make the trip to Canada.

Just figured i'd share if any of you were trying to see this amazing bird
at a fairly close location.  I was actually thinking of going out to
Minnesota to finally see them, but this option was MUCH better.

Brian Kulvete
Bloomfield, CT