[CT Birds] MEGA BOWL Results

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Mon Feb 6 08:44:59 EST 2017

The First Annual Mega Bowl of Birding in New Haven County was held yesterday
and it was a great success.  24 people formed six teams and spent the day
birding all over New Haven County.  A grand total of 104 species were
observed for a total of 231 points.  In a very close contest, the CYBC Darth
Waders were victorious, seeing the most species (82) and accumulating the
most points (175) of any of the teams.  Rare and uncommon species observed
included: Eared Grebe (that obligingly remained at Nathan Hale Park for the
week), Eurasian Wigeon (that returned to Mondo Ponds in time for the event),
Barrow's Goldeneye (continuing at Tuxis Island), Black-crowned Night-heron,
Rough-legged Hawk, Wilson's Snipe, Black-bellied Plover, Killdeer, Iceland
Gull, and White-crowned Sparrow.  All of the participants met at the end of
the day at the Kellogg Environmental Center in Derby for a delicious dinner
and social gathering.  Everyone received a prize as a result of the generous
donations from The Fat Robin in Hamden and The Audubon Shop in Madison.
We're already looking forward to next year, when we will hold the event on
Saturday, February 3rd, 2018, the day before the Super Bowl.  Thank you to
all who attended the inaugural event.  We're hoping for a bigger turnout
next year!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,