[CT Birds] 2/6 12:35 PM -- Enfield, Barnes Boat Launch -- Barnacle Geese YES

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 15:21:55 EST 2017

I was halfway through scanning the thousand Canada Geese on the opposite riverbank when Bob White of Guilford saved me the further trouble by pointing the two Barnacle Geese out to me.  From the boat launch, they were visible at the water's edge as seen between the two farthest bridge piers just upstream.  I was able to digiscope a few mediocre photos, which I posted to eBird with my report (see below).  Thank you, Bob!!

John Weeks

Donald W. Barnes Boat Launch, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Feb 6, 2017 12:25 PM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
8 species

Barnacle Goose  2     These two Barnacle Geese were reported by other observers, yesterday, 5 Feb. 2017.  Today they were standing on the west bank of the Connecticut River among at least 1,000 Canada Geese.  The exact spot was slightly north of the Donald Barnes Boat Launch on the opposite side of the river.  Digiscoped with my iPhone a
Canada Goose  1000
Ring-necked Duck  4
Bufflehead  1
Common Goldeneye  3