[CT Birds] 2/6 - East Granby - Thousands of Grackles, with a company of cowbirds

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 15:52:18 EST 2017

A very active flock of Common Grackles -- I estimated between 4,000 and 5,000 birds -- was feeding in a corn stubblefield adjacent to East Granby Farms and streaming across Rt 187 into a woodlot.  They were accompanied by at least 150 Cowbirds that kept pretty much to themselves.  I spotted no Red-winged Blackbirds among them.  Punxsatawney Phil may have seen his shadow the other day, but this sight conjured visions of an early spring!

The eBird report is below.

John Weeks
North Granby

East Granby Farms, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Feb 6, 2017 1:20 PM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments:     These birds were streaming across Rt 187 so low that I stopped to avoid colliding with them.  They continued to pour out of a corn stubblefield on one side of the highway into the trees on the opposite side. Counting them was impossible.  These numbers are estimates only, and probably represent an undercount.  The site was just north of the entrance to East Granby Farms.
2 species

Common Grackle  4000
Brown-headed Cowbird  150

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34206561