[CT Birds] Blue jays

Erica Soucy rickisoucy at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 09:04:14 EST 2017

Don't let anyone tell you jays aren't smart as well as sly.  I get home from work around 2:45 most afternoons.  My first chore is to feed the birds.  I first noticed what I thought was a red tailed hawk calling from a pine tree I'm a neighbors backyard, back in early January.  It would be there 2 or 3 times a week.  The small birds would high tail it out and then the jays would come in to glean the sunflower seed.  I could never find the hawk, but figured it was on the north side of the tree facing away from me.

After a couple of weeks it finally dawned on me it was the jays doing the call.  They knew I would be putting fresh seed out late in the afternoon and would wait for me to appear.  One would call and then they would have the seed to themselves.  Boy,  they are smart buggers!!!

Ricki Soucy
Meriden

Sent from my iPhone