[CT Birds] Colorblind birding

Tim timant123 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 19:41:54 EST 2017

I just found out that male common and red-breasted mergansers have green on their heads. I always thought it was black.  It only took 29 years of birding. I'm red-green colorblind. I once had a female tanager in my hand that I swore was red - other people in the bird hospital thought I was joking.  I can't tell the difference between a male and female house finch unless I get a really good look.  A male blackburnian warbler does not have any orange on it, its all yellow on the throat.  Any other stories of colorblind birders out there?

Tim Antanaitis

Portland, CT

Sent from my iPhone