[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk and Gray Squirrel

Joe Zygala shilohdad01 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:39:59 EST 2017

I just had a rather bizarre occurrence. I had a juvie Red-shoulder come sit on the uppermost crossbar of my feeder pole, about 7' off the floor of my deck. Immediately below him was a gray squirrel calmly feeding on spilled seed. I tried to position myself to get a photo, but this spooked the Red-shoulder to fly off. The only response from the squirrel was to briefly dash under the deck, returning to the deck about 30 seconds later.

Joe Zygala
South Salem, NY (in the oblong, could have been West Ridgefield)

Sent from my iPad