[CT Birds] Legislative Hearing on Potential New Open Space Program

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Feb 13 19:19:56 EST 2017

Please consider speaking up for this exciting new program for funding open space:

Dear Friends of Open Space,

We have some great news to share with you. Legislation has been introduced in the State legislature that could provide a “local option” for towns and cities across the State to acquire, preserve protect, and steward open space at the municipal level. Respectively, legislation was introduced by Senator Boucher (SB. 508) Representative Mushinsky (HB. 6946), and Representatives Orange, Ryan and Gresko (HB. 6926).
The legislation does NOT require the municipalities to adopt the local option and create a local revenue stream for communities to purchase and steward open space.  The proposal includes a conveyance fee of up to 1% on the purchase of residential real estate.

On Wednesday February 15<x-apple-data-detectors://4>th<x-apple-data-detectors://4> at 10:30 a.m.<x-apple-data-detectors://4> the Planning & Development Committee will hold a public hearing on HB. 6926. We are also planning a press conference at 9:30 a.m.<x-apple-data-detectors://5> at the Legislative Office Building<x-apple-data-detectors://6>.  I invite you to come to Hartford on Wednesday and attend the press conference and public hearing on this important proposal.  Join us at the Legislative Office Building<x-apple-data-detectors://8> and come out and speak up about the importance of protecting, preserving and maintaining open space across Connecticut.

If you have not contacted your elected officials encouraging their support of Project Green Space,email them and ask their support for HB. 6926with a simple message:“I care about open space in my community and believe we should have a local option to fund open space acquisition and stewardship.  Open space is good for birds and wildlife, and affords individuals an increased quality of life.  Your support of local option legislation would help our community increase the amount of open space it purchases and protects.  Please support HB. 6926!”

To locate the contact information for your State Representative and Senator go here:

If you would like to submit testimony in support of Project Green Space and HB.6926, please contact me. I can provide draft testimony for you to customize and instructions on your submission. Testimony is due by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, February 14<x-apple-data-detectors://10>th<x-apple-data-detectors://10>.<x-apple-data-detectors://10>

Are you planning to join us in Hartford on Wednesday? If so, please contact me atgleach at audubon.org<mailto:gleach at audubon.org> to confirm your attendance. If you need to reach me immediately, contact me directly at 860-716-1723<tel:860-716-1723>.

Speak soon!

Genese S. Leach
Policy Manager, Audubon Connecticut
New Cell: 860-716-1723<tel:860-716-1723>

Sent from my iPhone