[CT Birds] Gulls surface-feeding, already!

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Feb 18 20:59:01 EST 2017

We went to Merwin Point in Milford this afternoon and were surprised to see
a long line of gulls surface feeding on the water of the LI sound, a few
hundred yards off shore.  The line of birds stretched as far as we could see
and included waterfowl as well as gulls (black ducks, brant, and a few other
species).  It seems a bit early for this annual phenomenon and with the warm
weather predicted for tomorrow and the week to come, we may see a lot more
of this behavior along the CT coast.  And, of course, we may see some rare
gulls among the common species.  Worth checking out!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge