[CT Birds] CACC- a 5 raptor morning

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:38:49 EST 2017

2/22, Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center   10am-1PM. mid tide
receding. overcast, 46F. viewed from windows at Coastal Center and front.

It was a very active "nature" morning.  5 Raptors observed-  2 Red tailed
hawks-1 of them spent 1 hour 50 minutes eating a Canada Goose carcass which
apparently it has been consuming since yesterday.  It was mantling the
Goose when another RT hawk watched it from the tree.  It mantled the
carcass for 20 minutes, not moving. Later either the first hawk returned,
or the second one started consuming the dead goose.
Steve Spector spotted a Merlin in our parking lot.  A visitor pointed out
to us a beautiful Peregrine Falcon sitting on top of one of our trees in
the front.   A Cooper's hawk sat in the tree for a few minutes, and a
Northern harrier flew by the marsh twice.
At 10am, continuing for much of the morning was a pair of Great Black
backed gulls on the marsh consuming (I presume) a dead fish, playing tug of
war , pulling it back and forth.  A third GBBG was on the osprey nest and
then flying around the marsh.  2 Ring billed gulls swimming around
together, 3 Mute Swans, 4 Red Breasted Mergansers  1 American male wigeon
swimming around with 2 American Black ducks, as well as another 8 American
black ducks on the marsh,
24 Canada Geese.
At feeders and on grounds: 3 Song sparrows, 4 Cardinals (2M,2 F), about 25
Cedar Waxwings in the trees,  2 American Crows, 2 juncos,  6 Common
Grackles.
It was a really enjoyable morning observing the behaviors of so many birds
that I have seen before, but now had an extended amount of time to observe
them.
Bev Propen, Orange