[CT Birds] Orange backyard

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:35:33 EST 2017

My backyard feeders have been busy.  There is a wild turkey flock of 27 in
the neighborhood which seems to come to my feeders several times a week.
This morning, 3 male turkeys were decked out in full plummage mode with
tails fanned and puffed up.  The junco flock has been decreasing, but 6 Red
winged blackbirds, a few starlings and Common grackles liked the suet.
One lonely robin likes the birdbath.  Tufted titmice, chickadees, 2
cardinals, 6 Blue jays, 2 White breasted nuthatches, up to 10 American
goldfinches, 4 Housefinches (eye disease seems to be subsiding),  up to 10
Mourning doves, 2 White throated sparrows, 1 Song sparrow with numerous
House sparrows,1 Hairy, 1 Red bellied and 2 Downy Woodpeckers.  I was
wondering where the female Downy has been hanging out because up until
today her breast feathers were all white.  Today she showed up with her
breast feathers all gray.
3 Chipmunks appeared in the yard this morning.
Bev Propen, Orange