[CT Birds] NHBC RI Coast Field Trip

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Feb 23 17:32:27 EST 2017

Hi, fellow CT birders!

The NHBC field trip to the RI coast will run as scheduled this Saturday,
February 25th.   There is a chance of a shower or two in the afternoon, but
that shouldn't interfere with our plans.  The forecast is for warmer than
normal temperatures and moderate, onshore winds.  There is the chance those
winds will blow some pelagic birds our way along the coast.  We meet at 7:00
am at the commuter lot in Branford at exit 55 off I-95.  We will visit eight
or more prime birding spots in RI and return to the lot around 6 pm.  The
full announcement is below:

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and R.I. Coast

Saturday, February 25, 2017  7:00 am

This all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point NWR, Beavertail State
Park, Moonstone Beach, Trustum Pond, and other great birding sites on the RI
coast. We will see lots of sea ducks including all three scoter species,
Common Eider, and Harlequin Duck. We'll look for birds of prey, including
Rough-legged Hawk and several owl species. We'll also be on the lookout for
alcids and rare gulls. Dress warmly-it's likely to be cold and windy on the
coast. The hiking is a bit strenuous. Bring lunch and a scope, if you have
one. Meet at the Branford commuter lot, Exit 55 off I-95.

Leader: Chris Loscalzo, 203-389-6508, closcalzo at optonline.net

Good birding,

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge