[CT Birds] Fw: Important info about St. John's Ledges in Kent

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 16:35:33 EST 2017

I am re-sending this in case the formatting did not go through:

Important info about St. John's Ledges in Kent
from our Appalachian Trail Committee Chair, Dave Boone:

In response to serious abuse  by large numbers of non-hikers at South Gate, we (the AT Committee) met with a number of town and state officials a couple of weeks ago to come up with plans to hopefully control a large part of the crowd.

One of the items decided was to close River Road at St. John's Ledges hiking  parking. A gate is going to be installed, ideally right after the  pulloffs  just beyond the trailhead parking. The gate will be closed between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. We're also sealing off the old High Bank area, but that shouldn't affect climbing access. One other  item that may affect climbing groups/schools, etc.  is that  there won't be a place for buses to turn around.  We'll have signage to that effect at the intersection of Skiff Mt. Road.

CT Chapter of AMC, 5 Joy Street, Boston, MA 02108