[CT Birds] Coventry Lake, 2/36/17

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 13:46:44 EST 2017

Coventry Lake is about 75% free of ice. The southeast end is  still frozen
from the north end of Lakeside Terrace. The northeast cove is  frozen and
there is a little ice off the Oak Grove beach.
I had 3 ruddy Ducks and approx. 25 Common mergansers, plus  about 50 C
Geese. There are 100 to 150 gulls scattered around the lake. In one  group of
about 50 I had at least 20 Herring Gulls, likely quite a few more; an
unusually high number for the lake in the winter months. The rest were  apparently
As far as I could tell when I went by, Lower Bolton Lake is  completely
ice-free. Only birds I could ID from the road were perhaps 50 C  Geese, with
more flying in.
Interestingly, I didn't see a Mallard at either  lake.
Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct