[CT Birds] Tolland County ducks

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:59:46 EST 2017

As seductive a thought as it may be, I am not full that winter is over. However, it is pleasing to be able to walk around February day and not be shivering to the bone. Also pleasing to see lots of open water even far inland.  Shenipsit Lake in Tolland held a small raft of about 15 Ring-necked Ducks and a decent sized flock of geese but all Canadas.  Bradway Pond in Stafford had a pair of Buffleheads and 4 Ring-necked Ducks.  I don't bird that pond very often but I have never seen the latter species there before.  Finally, a small pond behind West Stafford cemetery had a pair of Wood Ducks being serenaded by Red-winged Blackbirds.

all the waterfowl are obviously northbound migrants, since all the water appear was frozen until a couple days ago. Considering that the calendar still says that we have a couple of weeks of potentially cold in winter he weather to go through, I was a little bit surprised to see that many migrant species up here.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

Sent from my iPhone