[CT Birds] Please Report any flagged or banded shorebirds, especially Piping Plovers and American Oystercatchers

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Mar 21 09:11:13 EDT 2017

As plovers and oystercatchers and other migrant shorebirds return to our coast, a reminder that we want to know about sightings of any banded or flagged shorebirds that you may come across.   In addition to posting to the  below website, please let us know at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com<mailto:ctwaterbirds at gmail.com>

Also, to better track volunteer effort, please share any eBird checklists that you  may have that include coastal Waterbirds, including shorebird, terns, herons or egrets.    It would also be good to receive any checklists that include Long-tailed Duck, Common Eider, Razorbill or Horned Grebe.  Please share checklists to our ctwaterbirds at gmail.com<mailto:ctwaterbirds at gmail.com>
Please see below for announcement from USFWS.  Thank you!

"Please remember to watch for northward migrating plovers carrying bands or flags.  It may have snowed on many Northeast beaches last week, but we are hearing about recent plover-sightings as far north as Massachusetts, and the pipers in the Bahamas and Florida are exhibiting "migratory restlessness."

Prompt reporting to banders assures that these observations contribute to ongoing studies.  Information about how to report sightings of banded and flagged piping plovers is at https://www.fws.gov/northeast/pipingplover/report_bands.html.  If you see a uniquely identifiable plover on more than one day or at multiple locations, please pass those details along to the appropriate contact.

Many thanks (as always),
Anne

P.S.  To learn more about how band resight observations are used, please see the recorded webinar at https://mmancusa.webex.com/mmancusa/ldr.php?RCID=822ccc545e68890d4ffb2f56d41d4aeb. "

Patrick