[CT Birds] NE Ct birding, 3-21-17 (Tuesday)

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 21:10:23 EDT 2017

Took a drive to the Yale forest and found very few birds (as  expected this
time of year). But there were 2 pairs of Wood Ducks In   Bigelow Brook at
the old mill pond on Barlow Mill Rd.

At Mansfield Hollow, 22 Ring-necked Ducks in the open pool  across the road
from the Boat launch. Also, I Hooded Merganser and 3 Common  Mergs, 1
Canada Goose. In the old dead pine across the lake from the Boat Launch  there
was 1 adult Bald Eagle.

Coventry Lake: 81 Common Mergansers, 23 Ring-necks, 2 Mute  Swans, c 15
Canada Geese (But they come back here to roost at  nightt), 1 Great Blue Heron
Fly-by.  As of today, 3/22, the lake was  100% clear of ice. It was over 90%
clear yesterday and any re-freeze  tonight  will be minimal and won't last
long I'm sure.

No sign of Ospreys yet at the 2 nests I'm monitoring (Ashford  and
Eastford) for Ct Audubon.

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct